Sunday 10 November 2013

LATIN LESSON



After having made ten poems available to anyone who needs them
I would be interested to know if any of them have;-
Saved a life
Raised a laugh
Seduced a lover
Inspired admiration/ scorn/ a new poem
Cured insomnia or
Ruined a good night's sleep
Caused a divorce or
Brought about a reconciliation
Cured a cough or an
In-growing toenail
?????????????
I really would like to know.








In the meantime here's another;-

Eleven tears old, first day of  the first year at Grammar School
(yes they were called that then)
Instead of going into the Physics Lab I somehow, in my confusion
entered the Latin classroom where an extremely attractive teacher
(not all that common then) was teaching the conjugation of the verb
'amare'  to love.
Maybe this accidental encounter initiated my preoccupation with
Classical Rome {and the opposite sex?)
I imagined a Further Education class for adults with an equally
attractive tutor in;-

LATIN LESSON
by
Frank Bryce

On Mondays at ten
she teaches us verbs
today it's 'amare'----to love.

amo---amas---amat

the way that her eyes wrinkle up when she smiles
unfolds me

amamus---amatis---amant

I dream of holing her in my arms
 her head resting soft next to mine

amo--amas---amat

stroking her hair against my cheek
tasting her breath

amamus---amatis---amant

I watch her sweet lips form the ancient words
restoring the language and me
with the indicative, active, present tense

amo---amo---amo








No comments:

Post a Comment