Wednesday 24 September 2014

A RANT

It must have been on a tour of a stately home, being directed by pointing cardboard fingers on stands to the next 'must see' that triggered this piece. Re-reading it I realised that it is a rhyming piece of apparent prose.
If that sounds a bit puddled blame it on the Shiraz.
           
                                                      A RANT
Forefinger, first finger, long finger points to the Gents to the caff to the walk by the lake, the finger that tells you where you should go, this way that way, don't deviate and the finger of the teacher who drags you out,  to the front of the class as she calls you a lout, and the finger of the bully in your chest as he sneers and asks you what you're looking at as you hold back tears and the finger of the sneak as he says it was you and you wonder what you'd done as the feeling grew that no matter what you did it wouldn't be enough 'cause the world is not for weaklings and you've got to be tough and the girls took no notice of you 'cause of your name and when you got home it was more of the same and no wonder you were weak 'cause you never got fed and your Dad was always pissed and your Mother stayed in bed so I thought is was time to 'off' in the blue when the finger in the poster said 'The Army Wants You' and I thought why not, it couldn't be worse so I signed and left to my father's curse, now I'm fit and I'm tough and it feels real good and I don't give a shit if I draw some blood and the best thing of all was they gave me a gun and they're teaching me to shoot though I've just begun to learn not to pull but to squeeze like a tit and then I'll be sure of making a hit and that stiff pointing finger is better when it's curled round a trigger as that's what rules the world.

Last line --cynical? true? depressing?  what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, cynical, but yes, so sadly true. Yet I feel such pain/pity/honour to soldiers. I couldn't do it. And I really think most of them don't want to.

    ReplyDelete